Well, of course, the main thing is that Will and Carla like it, and can forgive me for taking so long to come up with a present!
Monday, 27 April 2009
Thursday, 23 April 2009
from The Compleet Molesworth by Geoffrey Willans and Ronald Searle
Sunday, 19 April 2009
Tuesday, 14 April 2009
It is due to be studied by conservation experts, who consider the church to be remarkable and of an importance way beyond its humble appearance. It has a bit of a skeleton in the cupboard, too, in 1637 the Rev. Arthur Alvery was unfrocked and deprived of his living for allowing cock fighting in the church chancel!
The church was of course locked when we visited, but I look lots of photographs through the cobwebby windows. It was a sad and neglected-looking sight. Let's hope that the conservationists can work some magic.
It will be my job this summer to encourage people to raise sponsorship money in a Bike 'n Hike tour around the historic churches in our deanery so that funds will be available to help preserve these wonderful buildings. I can't think of any greater motivation than to take in the story told in these photographs.
Friday, 10 April 2009
Wednesday, 8 April 2009
Tuesday, 7 April 2009
Monday, 6 April 2009
I think I'm in love ......
Sunday, 5 April 2009
To have a play with them, I found a couple of big luggage labels and glued on some old stamps that I got from the charity shop. One stamp looks like the mail train and the other is a Christmas stamp with Hark the Herald Angels Sing in swirly calligraphy. I think they look quite neat! And they're going to have to count as my MakeSomethingCoolEveryday #2 for April!
Saturday, 4 April 2009
Thursday, 2 April 2009
First of all I knitted a bottom section in stocking stitch and sewed up the sides to make a shallow pouch shape. The green and white (Ikea) fabric was sewn to the yellow wool fabric at the top to make a tube. Some more Ikea fabric, in red, was used to make a lining and the casing for the tie cord. I pulled a bit of the lining out at the bottom of the tube to make another red layer and then sewed that to the knitted pouch. I left the cord casing edge as the selvedge, to save making it too bulky, as the red fabric is quite heavy-weight. I hope I've made that sound reasonably quick and straightforward - in reality I had to keep stopping and interrogating myself, "now is it right-sides-together", and "if I sew that to that will it be upside down", that kind of thing. I seem to have trouble thinking three-dimensionally these days!
I love the patterned Ikea material, and it was cheap, so I didn't mind using it to experiment with. The bag is 6.5" wide and 10" tall, and the amount of knitting required is about as much as I have the patience to do. And it's just the right size for a bottle of water and an emergency bar of chocolate (or three)!