At the beginning of this year, I joined the Erosion Bundle Project and quickly selected some items which I made into two bundles. One to hang in a tree in the garden and one to bury in the compost heap. The idea was to the leave the bundles for three months, open them up and then create something from the recovered items.
As it turned out, I could have been a bit cuter about what I bundled up in order to manipulate the results a bit. I had hoped that fabrics and papers would transfer their dyes and make marks on each other and that weather and ground conditions would cause significant deterioration. Certainly there was some leeching of dyes, but the weather and underground conditions had less effect than I anticipated. And I had to make quite a lot of insect-life homeless in the process.
The main piece of fabric here is a 6" x 6" section of a large piece of screen-printed wool which I bought at a thrift shop. The dyes helpfully moved themselves around a bit and the wool began to speckle and rot during its three months exposure.
The little black specks on the wool made me think of hundreds of tiny seeds and some of the pieces of lace and crochet suggested the shape of seedheads and an idea was formed. I added some beads, embroidery and one of my favourite stamps of a cow parsley seedhead. It's quite a tactile piece, and soft, being sewn through two backing layers of old much-washed wool blanket.