Wednesday 12 May 2010

Lilac Time with bonus thrifted lovelies


Lilac blossoms are heavy on the trees in the garden right now and one particular branch gives me an unwarranted slap on the chops every time I walk by, so ..... it had to go.   But it's the perfect bunch for my lovely vintage pressed glass jug bought at my favourite thrift shop last week.   And the marauding muntjac condescended to leave me two tulips to enjoy, bless 'em.

I adore this little blue jug (purchased in the same emporium).   It's got a 1930's feel to it, a sweet spout and is such a delicate colour.   It's very touchy-feely too.

The clematis in the posy were victims of their own success, like the lilac.   The plant is so vigorous that it entwines itself round the car wing-mirrors, or gets trapped in the door when you want to drive off.  So .... it had to go.

I've been so weed-obsessed in my gardening duties lately, that I forgot to look at the pretty things.   Silly me.


Aha - modern village life - just as I was about to post this, I heard clippety-clop outside and looked up to see a pony going by .... the rider was chatting away on her mobile phone!

12 comments:

jenny mccabe said...

what amazingly lovely flower displays!! the smell must be wonderful xxx

Anonymous said...

The flowers are gorgeous, Chrissie and dare I say it ......... that's a nice pair of jugs you have there! Your house must smell heavenly (because of the flowers of course, not the jugs). Every time I read your blog I can't help thinking how you make village life sound so wonderful and quirky and makes me wish that I lived there. But hey - I do! How lucky am I. Thank you for helping me to see my life here through different eyes.
Love Anne

WrightStuff said...

Make your presents felt... Love it! A girl after my own heart :)

Tulips and lilacs are my favourites. thanks for sharing.

ELK said...

i am sure the aroma is a delight as well ..just a beautiful bunch!!

Jill said...

What a pretty posy, isn't nice to be able to make these little combinations from your own garden?

CAROLYN SAXBY said...

Lovely post Chrissie, the flowers are gorgeous in your pretty new jug. Your post brought a smile to my face :o)

LAC EMP 2020 said...

I love the smell of lilacs Chrissie but it's something we've never grown in our gardens no matter where we've lived. Those jugs complement the flowers beautifully. The clematis looked like tulips at first glance and I have a fondness for the blue cornflower. I know it grows like a weed but I always think it's hard to get a good blue in the garden and it fits the bill for me. I have a lovely violet version of it too. Called 'Violetta'. No surprise there then! Hope you're feeling brighter.Lesley xx

The Vintage Magpie said...

Hi Chrissie, what a beautiful blog you have.. lilacs are my favourite.
x

menopausalmusing said...

Stunning flowers.......... Lovely to have them all in your garden. I try not to buy any over winter and then at this time of year I have flowers in every room - sheer decadence! We have deer in the field next door....... Up till now they have only strayed in a couple of times.

Florcita said...

I love lilacs! I havea rather large tree already and my husband wants to..... make it smaller. and I refuse! ahahah it's so pretty!

AltheaP said...

Oh, I miss lilacs. It's too hot to grown them where I live, but I am Janine, the Queen of Lilac Time after all.

Karen said...

I adore lilac, it's beautiful and I have had tulips in the house every week recently, i will be sad when they are no longer available. Thanks so much for the encouraging words, I really appreciate them, Karen