Monday 21 June 2010

Red Roses for a Blue Lady



This is for Jean, who had the very great misfortune to be sitting in her seat on the train when a complete idiot dropped a golf bag full of clubs on her head from the rack above her - and showed absolutely no concern for her welfare.   If I could get my hands on him I'd tie his mashie niblick in a knot around his neck.  Hope the bumps are better Jean?



Jean (and others) has been wondering why I haven't been blogging lately.   I'm sorry for the unannounced break in transmission - all due to circumstances beyond my control, but I hope things will be back on track now.  



These photos of lovely June roses are carefully edited to eliminate all the weeds which are growing profusely wherever I look in the garden.   The weather has been perfect for them, both weeds and roses - lots of sunny spells and plenty of rain.   

I think our garden is going on for about an acre and I have long since stopped trying to make it all neat and tidy, but there are bits where I make some attempt to keep the cleavers, brambles and nettles to a minimum so that you don't get your nightie snagged when staggering up to the end to let the hens out at silly o'clock in the morning.  


The last four-hour wrestling match with the brambles and dog-roses under and around a prickly berberis resulted in so many lacerations on my arms that friend Charlie thought I'd been "self-harming".






So, many apologies again to my precious 'regulars' and to those lovely bloggers who I haven't been able to visit and leave comments for - I'm really looking forward to catching up with everyone.

Hope everyone's fine and dandy!








8 comments:

JP said...

glad to see you back!

vintagerockchick said...

Good to see you back - I know what you mean about arm injuries - I don't wear gardening gloves, but even if I did they wouldn't be long enough. And they certainly wouldn't have protected my shins from the shears I dropped the other day.
(oh and if that mashie niblick is a golf club - I think it's solved a crossword clue for me today!)

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Chrissie! Glad you're back in the swing. The roses are beautiful at this time of year aren't they and your photos are lovely - couldn't detect a single weed even with the magnifying glass!
Anne

LAC EMP 2020 said...

Chrissie,
Beautiful roses. Not something we have a lot of in our garden. I've never been very successful with them for some reason but we have a white rambler planted before our time and it looks stunning this year. We think the hard winter has really give the plants a boost in some way. Everything is much stronger this summer and bigger than ever. Long may it continue. Very glad to see you back. We've missed you! Lesley x

menopausalmusing said...

Great to see you back! Another one here who doesn't have much in the way of roses. However, plenty of brambles and weeds alongside masses of flowers. I have given up trying to keep it immaculate and seem to enjoy it more....

AeFondKis said...

Hi Chrissie lovely to hear you back in bloggzonia! The roses are bonnie and I can see you are devoted to having the best garden in middle England! We are all having a great summer weather wise and the knock on affect is bloomin lovely gardens!!:)

Uta said...

Been missing you

Sue said...

This post really made me laugh Chrissie! Thanks for your comment over at mine. I almost wish I'd had the golf clubs on my head if it meant I got that lovely box of geraniums... x