Tuesday 10 March 2009

Sashiko Stitching
















Inspired by the beautiful bags of Hana I have been playing with some Sashiko stitching. In fact, I've been doing something similar for years, but didn't know that's what it was called! It's a traditional Japanese form of quilting on clothing, to help make it warm and snug against the elements. I love the simplicity and rhythm of the stitching, the sudden changes of direction, the trapped spaces and the opportunity to introduce something that startles. I've sewn a bright red felt circle on my linen piece (a thrifted traycloth) and the stiches are in what I think is linen thread from an old Dutch spool. I'd love to get my hands on some indigo-dyed fabric to try out some stitches against the blue.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Sashiko.Thanks for introducing me to Hana, a new favourite

Chrissie said...

Hana's so talented isn't she. Thanks for commenting.