Tuesday 10 February 2009

My Heart Felting

Tuesday 10 February 2009

A mossy pot and felted heart

Today I've included some quite old pictures of the early days of my felting experiments using a resist to create 3-D vessels and bags. In this method the wool fibres are laid out enclosing a plastic template of the required size and shape. The felting and part of the fulling process takes place with the plastic in situ. As the felt begins to shrink around the template, the felt is cut to release the plastic and the energetic fulling and shrinking continues!
I learnt the technique from books, so it did take one or two frustratingly unsuccessful attempts before I discovered some of the do's and don'ts! There were bulky lumps at the edges where the fibre layers were too thickly overlapped and unnecessarily large holes cut to remove the template, but I think now I understand what's needed, even if I don't always achieve it in practice!

A little brown cache-pot

A denim blue dainty handbag








6 comments:

filz-t-raum.ch said...

very lovely your mossy pot with the felted heart!
have a good time,
filz-t-raum.ch

Nuvofelt said...

As always - lovely samples. I'm really enjoying reading about your felting adventures.

Anonymous said...

oh, these are lovely items... i especially like the brown (middle pic) bowl... lush!

found you via this blog today (see below)... am will certainly keep coming back to see more of your wonderful work!

http://filz-t-raumundherzensdinge.blogspot.com/

Chrissie said...

Thank you all for your encouraging comments - you have no idea how much I appreciate them!

femminismo said...

All your hearts are adorable. Felting! How do you do it? I've never tried, but it looks like such fun. Jeanne

Unknown said...

Wow, I love your vessels! I can't get the hang of wet felting, but it is beautiful!