Friday 13 February 2009

Sisters, sisters

Friday 13 February 2009



Today's heart-themed post is dedicated to the memory of my late sister Jacqui, who shared my love of crafting, taught me a lot of what I know, imbued me with enthusiasm to try new things and encouraged me in all I did in a very practical and honest way. The hand-made paper heart collage was her present to me on my birthday in 1994 and it hangs on my kitchen wall where I can see it while I'm busy feltmaking at the sink, or being a Domestic Goddess at the stove! Whilst her physical presence is no longer something I am able to enjoy, her influences are around me daily and I still rely on her for support and inspiration. Though I now think of her as a helpmeet through life, there was a time when she was just a pesky little sis. When she was about a year old, she ate most of my treasured stamp collection and gave my favourite dolly a tattoo. On her forehead. With an indelible pen. What a girl!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute to your sister. She must have been a great
friend to you. I love the picture of the hearts she did. It is so pretty.

AltheaP said...

What a lovely tribute to your sister. Siblings are such a gift to help us feel grounded in the world, here or gone.

Unknown said...

Chris, this is a lovely post about your sister. I really get a picture of her personality and love hearing about how you still have her around you every day. The heart collage is lovely!

Jean Levert Hood said...

This touched me so! My little sister would have had another birthday yesterday. And, yes, she was a little pest growing up!! I miss her so.

This is such a beautiful piece you have to see every day. What a lovely way to connect each day.

Blessings, Jean

Chrissie said...

I am very moved that this has sparked your own thoughts and memories and thank you all for leaving comments.